Wednesday 30 September 2015

Summing it up

BabyDoll can somewhat do simple mental sums. She is especially good with numbers within 10. She is able to figure out that 5+2 is 7, or 5+3 etc. But oddly, she cannot do 18+2 or 50+2 LOL. I think the bigger numbers intimidates her.
 
To be able to do simple addition and subtraction, the child must be very strong in her number order. She must know what comes before and after a number. With that she should be able to do simple sums like 5+1 or even 14+1.
 
Obviously, Doll isn't strong in her number order when it comes to numbers beyond 20. I felt she just needed a macro view of the number order.
 
I could use my Daiso blocks but I was too lazy to arrange 100 blocks of wood. I recalled I made this colourful 100 board for Sonshine and decided to use this instead.
 
 
 
I rummaged through my shelf and was overjoyed when I found it!
 
I simply used colored paper to make each row and divided each row.  I then used circular sticky labels and stuck on the paper. I wrote down the numbers on the labels and viola it is done!
 
 
 
 
Here's how I helped Doll 'see' and make sense of simple addition above 30. I wrote down the sums.
 
Let's take a look at 63+2
 
 
I gave her a counter, a male fairy counter that is. And told her that 63+2 means, she already has 63 sweets and I gave her 2 more. I had her place her counter on the number 63, the number she had to start with. And told her since she needed to add 2 to 63, she needs to move her fairy up 2 spaces. You will notice this is a bit like playing a board game.
 
It helped her very well. She continued to the rest of the sums I wrote for her.
 
 
by She also dabbled on more sums on her Kindy book. She did herself by using the number chart above.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment