Wednesday 5 November 2014

Guided reading

These days I am more focused on teaching Doll to read. No Math, no activities just reading.
 
I decided that I needed some sort of a system instead of going by where the wind blows me. So I made my way to my local bookstore (Popular) & bought a guided reader for Doll.

 
I chose Scholastic science readers.

 
There are several mini books like these in the set.

 
I love this series because the sentences are more or less repetitive. There are new words on each page but mostly repetitive throughout the book.
 
I am using these books to give me some sort of a structure to teach Doll. What I do is, I'd first read a book to her and then teach her the new words.
 
 
I'd prepare word cards that are found in the particular book we are focusing on.
 
Like always, I do matching activity with her or get her sort the words as I read each word to her. As I've mentioned earlier, matching words helps Doll learn more effectively.
 
After she can recognise the new words, I'd return to the book and make her read word by word. It is easy to look at the picture and guess the words. That's why, I'd usually cover the pictures & point to each word as she reads aloud.
 

 
I am satisfied that Doll has learn to read quite a substantial number of words. Since I have (long) purchased (but never use) a box of word cards, I decided to to use them for Doll to practise her reading.  I took out the words she had learnt and randomly form a sentence or phrase. She would then read aloud to me.


 
I love these cards, so many possibilities!
 
 
Also, I am exposing her to writing her letters and practising her pincer grasp. I've downloaded a couple of free apps & she's been doing this almost daily. Sometimes, we can 'cheat' a little and let technology be their teacher hee hee hee!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment